All students studying degrees at Lancaster University either in the UK or across the world at our partner institutions are automatically our members.
The political leadership of our Union comes from our elected officers, led by the President and team of five full-time Vice Presidents.
As a students’ union we are a registered educational charity. We have a Board of Trustees to oversee key decision making that relates to the future of the union. The trustees have a responsibility to ensure that we make sound financial decisions, works within the law and works for the benefit for its members.
We are governed by our Articles of Association. The union also has a set of Byelaws which outline how we operate and what we do.
Lancaster University Students’ Union is an incorporated charity.
Our objects are the advancement of the education of students at Lancaster University for the public benefit by:
- Promoting the interests and welfare of students at Lancaster University during their course of study and representing, supporting and advising students;
- Being the representative channel between students and Lancaster University and any other external bodies;
- And providing social, cultural, sporting and recreational activities and forums for discussions and debate for the personal development of its students.
Our charity number is 1172269 and our company registration number is 10464111.
The Students’ Union owns and operates two trading companies in which its commercial operations are homed:
- LUSU HOUSING LIMITED, Company number 07358617, which includes LUSU Living; and
- LUSU SERVICES COMPANY LIMITED, Company number 03411073, which includes the Sugarhouse, LUSU Central and other marketing activity.
Both companies are registered at Bowland College, Bailrigg, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1 4YT.