



UNION ASSEMBLY

Union Assembly Minutes

Agenda for the meeting held: **TUESDAY 5th NOVEMBER 2024, 3PM – 6PM**

Agenda Item 1| Introductions

Minutes of meeting 18/06/24: [Union Assembly Minutes 18.06.24](#)

Minutes of emergency meeting 25/06/24: [Union Assembly Emergency Meetings 25.06.24](#)

In attendance: Cerys Evans, Harrison Stewart, Jack Watson, Ella Smith, Ifaz Younus, Sonny Remmer-Riley, Luke Owen, Ollie Earnshaw, Rory O’Ceallaigh, Madison Lardner, Emily Woods, Isaac Jacques, Cali-Rose Foster, Josie Hyland, Ewan Bell, Isaac Harrison, Emmi Wilson, Robert Braines, Samuel Clark, Nicole Robinson, Edward Rowell, Ellie Coverdale, Naimh McAuley, Iman Jalloh, Nabilah Behrin, Aastha Gupta.

Apologies: Em Brooks & Charley Zollinger, Millie Ni-Elle Ashton, Thomas Evans, Aaditi Surana, Klara Foricic.

Absent: Chaitra Krishna.

The Chair (Matt Murphy) introduced the meeting and welcomed new members of Union Assembly.

The Chair asked for comments on the minutes. The minutes for both meetings were approved by a show of hands.

Agenda Item 2 | For Discussion | Full-Time Officer Report

Coversheet: [Union Assembly, FTO Report Coversheet, 05.11.24](#)

Presentation Slides: [Union Assembly, FTO Report Presentation Slides, 05.11.24](#)

Easy Read Format: [Union Assembly, FTO Report Easy Read Format, 05.11.24](#)

Cerys Evans introduced the Full-Time Officer team and explained the change in the format of the Full-Time Officer reports for the 24/25 academic year. Cerys asked for feedback on the new, condensed format and welcomed new members of Union Assembly to the meeting. Cerys explained the Union’s new values, as part of the new strategy, and how the FTOs can be held to account in accordance with them.

Cerys explained the FTO team’s goals for the 24/25 academic year and how they can be used to explain their work to students. Cerys invited students in attendance to get involved in the campaigns.

President’s Report

Cerys Evans present their report, detailing their campaigns on Guarantors and Supper Club. Cerys explained how the guarantor system disadvantaged international students, estranged students, and students from very low-income backgrounds and how she has been lobbying the University. Cerys reported that the University has been very receptive to the campaign.

Supper Club has been operationalised by the University via The Marketplace which is a more comfortable set-up, will remove stigma, and offer a broader range of food. Cerys detailed the key meetings she has engaged with in the University. Cerys explained how she is taking a different, more direct approach at University Council. Cerys spoke about the need for change within Student Experience Committee to ensure students are better represented.

Cerys re-introduced the Welcome Rep Review and her desire to improve the system, with engagement from College Presidents throughout. Cerys explained the challenges within Presidents' Committee (PresComm) and changes that have been made to the meetings. Cerys invited students in attendance to get involved in campaigning around rent in University Accommodation. Cerys invited those in attendance running campaigns, to invite others to get involved.

Ollie Earnshaw: I am working towards a rent strike campaign. I am currently putting a petition together. Looking for volunteers, I will be creating a Teams space to help organise.

Cerys explained their involvement in the recruitment of the new Vice Chancellor and asked attendees to share their views on the recruitment process or personal specification attached to it.

Rory O'Ceallaigh: on Supper Club, is the move to The Marketplace costing the Students' Union more?

Cerys Evans: it is the University paying itself, it doesn't cost the Students' Union significantly less.

Josie Hyland: was the decision to operationalise Supper Club via the University a mutual one?

Cerys Evans: it was proposed by the University, but I feel it benefits students. Better choice, meal options, table to eat at, etc.

Madison Larder: only problem with Marketplace is that it is further from many Colleges. Could it be somewhere more central?

Cerys Evans: it is true, it is 2 or 3 minutes further north than the Learning Zone. It hasn't been raised by students yet. We can discuss option to expand to other outlets on-campus. I can follow-up conversation around Barkers as an option.

Rory O'Ceallaigh: where are you on Welcome Rep Review?

Cerys Evans: I spoke with staff from 8 of the 9 Colleges to discuss practical changes in the short-term. A new Dean of Colleges has been appointed, which has caused some hesitation. The next stage is to get some agreement on their responsibilities, this should be easier with the new Dean role.

Ollie Earnshaw: the changes to PresComm are very welcome.

Activities Officer's Report

Jack Watson presented their report and introduced the new Media sub-committee of Societies Committee. Jack explained the need for better engagement and support for media societies, and the first media summit of the year.

Jack spoke about the first Society's Forum of 24/25 and the elections of the new Societies Committee. The forum had good discussions.

Jack explains the discussions at Sports Committee make-up, and the new sports pass & kit arrangements. Over the summer, 8 societies transitioned to sport as the first wave following approval of new criteria as part of the Sports Review: Barbell, Boxing, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Darts, Karate, Kickboxing, Taekwondo, and Underwater Hockey. These societies were

selected as they are recognised as sports, governed by national governing bodies, by Sport England.

Jack launched the new kit over the summer and stated that everyone seems happy. The online store for University teams will open soon. Jack has been elected as the BUCS NW Student Chair has been representing the University and the region in meetings.

Jack has been developing the training offer for student leaders and the need to identify duplication and inequalities between the induction for different volunteers. The FTO team are thinking carefully about how volunteers are recognised.

Jack spoke about the Carbon Audit for the Students' Union. The audit has been completed and reviewed by Trustees. A summarised version of the report will be published soon.

Jack explained that they will not be using their Officer Instagram account this year.

No questions.

Alistair Burt, the University Pro-Chancellor, was invited by the President and arrived to spend some time with student leaders.

Education Officer's Report

Harrison Stewart explained their involvement in the Curriculum Transformation Project and their changed approach in University Council. Harrison explained the need to spend more time at Council explaining the experiences and hardships of students.

Harrison explained their additional role as a Commercial Director for LUSU, and focus on improving The Sugarhouse to keep it open and produce a better offer for students.

Harrison updated on their manifesto points. The introduction of sponsorship deals between societies and sports clubs and The Sugarhouse. At the Academic Rep Conference on Saturday, Harrison delivered a session on embedding sustainability in the curriculum.

Josie Hyland: what is the financial return on the Sugarhouse sponsorship agreements?

Harrison Stewart: the agreement involves payment to student groups and expectations around attendance at the nightclub. The payment varies dependent on the size of the club.

Iman Jalloh: what stage are you at on embedded sustainability in the curriculum?

Harrison Stewart: it is tied to progress of the CTP, which is at the point at which Department start to consider how they can meet the new framework for the curriculum.

Wellbeing Officer's Report

Ella Smith presented their report and introduced themselves as it is their first meeting of Union Assembly. Ella spoke about the meetings they attend within the University and Students' Union.

Ella explained the focuses of their work: harassment and sexual misconduct, and updates to the University and Students' Union website. Ella encouraged women+ attendees to engage in the She Calls the Shot campaign and the Ladies Linkup on Thursday. Ella is collaborating with Leah Buttery to deliver the Free Flow project.

Ella detailed their accomplishments so far. Took part in their induction throughout the summer, worked with the University to redesign the Wellbeing portal for students. Set up the LUSU Swap & Style with LUSU Green to provide sustainable smart attire and fancy dress costumes. Ella is relaunching the Rent Smart campaign to inform students on their rights as renters.

Ella explained the incoming committee on harassment and sexual misconduct. She is working with Ifaz Younus on the International Fair next week.

Ifaz Younus: we are running the International Students' Fair to provide additional support, guidance, and information for international students. Please spread the word.

Ella encouraged clubs and societies to host events as part of the She Calls the Shots campaign and explained some frustration with the University.

Sonny Remmer-Riley: is there anything in particular you are trying to change in the Deanery system?

Ella Smith: I am keen to deal with inconsistencies between Colleges.

Cerys Evans: part of the problem we have had is with Assistant Deans where students are punishing students. This involves lots of interpersonal conflicts and existing relationships. There is not a clear system in-which students can question the process. It is really hard to challenge where there is unfairness. Training and enforcement is inadequate.

Ella Smith: there is also the standing conflict of interest where Deans come from Wellbeing Services.

Cerys Evans closed the Officers' report and asked for additional questions.

Agenda Item 3 | For Approval | Support for cycling and the Lancaster University Cycle Lane Campaign

Joe Dimambro-Denson

Motion: [Union Assembly 05.11.24 - LUSU AGM 2024, Motion 1 - Support for cycling and the Lancaster University Cycle Lane Campaign](#)

This motion was originally submitted to the LUSU AGM 2024 but was referred to Union Assembly for approval.

Joe Dimambro-Denson provided a PowerPoint presentation to accompany the agenda item. It can be viewed here: [Support for cycling and the Lancaster University Cycle Lane Campaign Presentation](#)

Joe Dimambro-Denson introduced themselves and the campaign. Joe explained the actions have taken so far and the benefits of cycling to campus. Joe explained the safety and accessibility issues on the A6. Joe explained the need for a separated cycle lane to ensure everyone's safety. Joe detailed the additional need for improvements to cycling infrastructure on-campus.

Cerys Evans: thank you Joe. This benefits everyone as it should make it quicker to travel to campus on the bus.

Iman Jalloh: I agree. I noticed a very small sign on the bus that was inadequate. Have you spoken to the University about bike storage facilities?

Sophie Standen: we have emailed the University but not had a response.

Joe Dimambro-Denson: we have asked for this to be addressed in the motion.

Madison Lardner: have we consider the need for people to park their car outside their homes on the A6.

Joe: it is likely that there will be opposition. It is a public highway and not for storing cars. We do need to ensure there are provisions for those who live there.

Madison Lardner: the houses built there do not have any space for car parking.

Joe: if this was to happen, there will be public consultation on the design of the A6. Many people can walk a little further to get to where they park.

Luke Owen: in my first year we worked on promoting cycling as part of EcoChallenge.

Josie Hyland: installing the bike lanes would be the job of the County Council?

Joe: yes, as they manage highways.

Vote:

FOR	25
AGAINST	1
ABSTAIN	0

Motion is approved by Union Assembly.

Agenda Item 4 | For Approval | Co-option of LGBTQ+ Officer

LGBTQ+ Forum

Letter: [Nomination letter for LGBTQ+ Officer](#)

Cerys Evans detailed the discussion that took place at Democracy Committee surrounding the election of LCO positions. Cerys explained the on-going review of the LCO positions and agreement at Democracy Committee to seek co-options into the vacant LCO posts. Cerys invited Union Assembly to approve the appointment.

Lucas Abbott (General Secretary of LGBTQ+ Forum) spoke to the expansion of the LGBTQ+ Forum executive and the need for an LCO. Lucas explained how volunteers were sought from across the forum membership and Lilly-Emma put themselves forward.

Ewan Bell: were there other people interested in the role?

Lucas Abbott: I was interested but I have lots of other commitments.

Ella Smith: I have met with Lilly-Emma. They are unable to attend due to illness.

Rory O'Ceallaigh: did anyone vote against the appointment?

Lucas Abbott: no concerns were raised. Forum members had the ability to raise concerns directly with me, as the independent person overseeing the process.

Harrison Stewart: why do we not do co-options like this normally? As it stands, we can't determine eligibility in cross-campus elections.

Vote:

FOR	25
AGAINST	0
ABSTAIN	0

Lilly-Emma Thynne is appointed as LGBTQ+ Officer.

Alistair Burt (University Pro-Chancellor) spoke to Union Assembly on his role within the University. Alistair spoke about the important role of the Students' Union in the University's governance and shifting priorities of the University. Alistair spoke about his passion for democratic decision-making and discussion. Alistair explained how after the recent elections in the UK he sent the Students' Union report to University Council to Jacqui Smith the incoming Universities Minister.

Union Assembly took a 10minute break.

Agenda Item 5 | For Information | Changes to JCR Executive Terms of Reference

Bowland College JCR, Cartmel College JCR, Furness College JCR, Pendle College JCR

Bowland JCR, new Terms of Reference: [Bowland College JCR Terms of Reference](#)

Cartmel JCR, new Terms of Reference: [Cartmel College JCR Terms of Reference](#)

Furness JCR, new Terms of Reference: [Furness College JCR Terms of Reference](#)

Pendle JCR, new Terms of Reference: [Pendle College JCR Terms of Reference](#)

Furness JCR Terms of Reference

Rory O'Ceallaigh presented the tracked changes to the Furness College JCR Terms of Reference. Rory explained changes to remove the more prescription elements of the

document to align with current practice. Rory explained the changes to the Vice President role titles. Rory presented the removal of the Welfare and Campaigns, Welfare and Education, and Welfare and International Officers and replacement with new roles. Rory explained a new focus on campaigning activity, representation, and shifting responsibilities within the executive.

Cerys Evans: have you had any Sports Officers who had no involvement in College sports teams.

Rory O'Ceallaigh: our current Sports Officers entered the role with no experience in the teams.

Ella Smith: how many meetings do your new inclusion positions attend beyond the JCR?

Rory O'Ceallaigh: they attend WIG and JCR meetings, there aren't any others yet

Ella Smith: if the emphasis is on attending meetings, but don't have many to attend

Rory O'Ceallaigh: role is to attend JCR and have a clear way to contribute to discussion.

They are there to represent men's+, women's+, and international communities in Furness.

Ella Smith: it is intentionally not campaigns focused

Rory O'Ceallaigh: we will encourage them to engage in events-orientated sub-committees of the JCR. These roles should be a more attractive way to step-into the JCR.

Robert Braines: as you have generalised a lot of the detail of the roles do you think it will harder to hold members of the executive to account?

Rory O'Ceallaigh: there is still the capacity to hold people to account. I have removed sections that have been added over time to deal with interpersonal conflicts.

Cartmel JCR Terms of Reference

Luke Owen explained the new Terms of Reference for Cartmel JCR. Luke explained the new General Executive Member roles and how they will be co-opted. Luke spoke about the new fortnightly public meetings within the JCR and the new motions template.

Cerys Evans: this makes you the only JCR without a defined women's+ role.

Luke Owen: we will put out targeted calls for co-option, we will link new roles to more senior positions.

Robert Braines: is there a concern that you end up with too many people in your JCR?

Luke Owen: the next JCR can discuss this as it develops. We are currently struggling to get people involved, we would rather that problem.

Bowland JCR Terms of Reference

Sonny Remmer-Riley explained the changes to the Bowland JCR Terms of Reference.

Sonny explained how they are improving transparency and making changes to the terminology and inclusivity of the JCR. Sonny explained how they have removed references to Bowland Lady magazine and made changes to the Welfare roles within the executive.

Sonny introduced the additional meetings and sub-committees within the JCR executive.

Sonny explained that Bowland merchandise cannot be single-use and a new Vote of No Confidence policy has been included in the new Terms.

No questions.

Pendle JCR Terms of Reference

Emily Woods introduced the changes to the Pendle JCR Terms of Reference. Emily explained the need for additional support for the President and new Lead Officers. Emily explained the changes to the executive committee roles.

No questions.

Agenda Item 9 | Any Other Business

Recruitment Panel for Union Assembly Chair: November – March

The following members of Union Assembly had volunteered via Teams before the meeting: Emily Woods, Sonny Remmer-Riley, Cerys Evans, Ollie Earnshaw, and Luke Owen.

Harrison Stewart: Faculty Reps need more time to consider the role.

Chair: we need to choose before the end of the week

Jack Watson: Harrison and I will share information with our new members of Union Assembly

Union Assembly to approve the membership of interview panel digitally before the end of the week.

Harrison Stewart: if we don't vote why do we have sight of JCR Terms of Reference?

Cerys Evans: we need to consider this. We should have discussion, but the Byelaws don't stipulate a vote to approve.