Applications for two Student Trustee positions are now open to any current student at Lancaster University.
Apply here now until 9am on Monday 18th November 2019
This is an incredible opportunity for you as a student to contribute to your students’ union, learn about business, HR, finance and charity law, and to make a valuable contribution to the lives of your fellow students. Our Trustee Board is looking to appoint a resourceful, determined and committed student who will help to drive the union to better meet the needs of its members. Applications are welcomed from any current Lancaster University student - we particularly welcome applications from black and minority ethnic, international and postgraduate research students.
Trustees are the people who form the governing body or ‘board’ of a charity and are the people with ultimate responsibility for directing its business. Our Trustee Board is made up of a mix of students, elected officers and external members who can offer a different perspective and expertise. The Trustees ensure the union complies with the law, remains true to its charitable purpose, remains solvent and uses funds responsibly.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To ensure the union acts in accordance with its charitable status, constitution, other guiding documents and relevant legislation while remaining true to its mission, vision and values
- To help the union achieve its objectives and improve the lives of its members
- To ensure the union applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its charitable aims and objectives
- To contribute actively to the role by determining union strategy, overseeing overall policy, ensuring financial sustainability, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of the union
- To recruit, appraise, and manage the Chief Executive
- To ensure the union does not undertake activities which put its financial stability, members or reputation at undue risk
- To protect and manage the property of the union (where applicable), and to ensure the proper investment of its funds
- To add value to the union through the use of any specific knowledge or expertise they have to help the Board of Trustees reach sound decisions.
- Through scrutinising board or committee papers, leading discussions on key issues, providing advice and guidance to the board on new initiatives, broadening thinking and promoting creativity and innovation
Training and opportunities
- Full training, mentoring and support is provided, so experience is not essential - the most important quality is a passion for seeing the students' union thrive
- The role offers the opportunity to gain transferable skills that the successful candidate will be able to use in their future career
- This is a fantastic opportunity to gain experience of charity governance, an impressive addition to a CV.
- The role offers ample opportunities to develop leadership skills and benefit from networking opportunities
- Successful candidates will have an opportunity to see their ideas have an impact on the university experience of their fellow students
Download the full role description
Need more information about being a Trustee? Find out more